Full Time Position
Outreach Services Specialist
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, working a combination of mornings, nights, and weekends to accommodate outreach events throughout the community.
Hourly Rate: $18.00 per hour, depending on qualifications
Benefits: Health, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance, paid time off; Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF)
Are you passionate about promoting literacy, fostering community engagement, and connecting people to valuable educational resources? If so, we have an exciting opportunity for you! The Villa Park Public Library is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Outreach Services Specialist to join our team and make a positive impact in our community. We are looking for a self-motivated and flexible individual with a positive attitude who is organized, creative, has excellent time management skills and enjoys working with people of all ages.
The library serves over 22,000 residents of Villa Park and an additional 2,000 residents in the City of Oakbrook Terrace. This person is responsible for connecting with parents, caregivers, and teachers, while providing outreach to local schools, community organizations, and childcare providers. Responsibilities include: reference, readers’ advisory, and programming duties. Candidates must be highly organized and work well both within a team and independently. Excellent oral and written skills and a superior customer service attitude are essential. Work is performed in a variety of settings and locations: daycare/ school classroom, in the library’s new Sprinter Van, outdoors for programming, as well as in a typical library environment.
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Bilingual speaker (particularly Spanish) is preferred.
- Effective team player who can establish and maintain cooperative and efficient working relationships with staff, volunteers, and community organizations.
- Perform reference and readers’ advisory duties at the library service desks.
- Encourage and model a love of stories, books, learning, and exploring for all ages.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Basic knowledge of children’s, teen, and adult literature, popular materials, and reference materials in a variety of formats.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct story times for children.
- Ability to incorporate technology into programming and other public services.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize information to produce new or revised processes and procedures.
- Competency in MS Office products required.
- Ability to express self well in English, both orally and in writing, required.
- One year or more of library experience involving work with the public preferred.
- Valid driver’s license required.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to:
Villa Park Public Library
Attn: Kandice Krettler, Deputy Director & Head of Circulation/Outreach Services
305 S. Ardmore Ave.
Villa Park, IL 60181
Or email cover letter and resume to:
Part Time Position
No part-time positions open at this time.