Full Time Position
No full time openings.
Part Time Position
Public Services Associate
Hours/week: 16.158 hours per week
Salary: $13.65/ hour, depending on qualifications
The Villa Park Public Library seeks a versatile, service-oriented person to become our new Public Services Associate. We are looking for someone who is energetic, organized, and excited about working with patrons of all ages. Strong technology skills are a must, as is the ability to provide assistance both one-on-one and through group instruction.
The job includes planning and conducting programs for young children and families, and working at our Service Desks. Typical desk duties are answering reference questions, providing computer support/troubleshooting, and handling program registrations. Also included are some circulation responsibilities such as checking items in and out, assisting patrons with accounts, and issuing library cards.
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree. Preference will be given to candidates who have previous work experience with children and families, or a background in education. Those who speak Spanish or have previous work experience with technology are also strongly encouraged to apply.
The Public Services Associate position averages 16.158 hours a week. The position requires the following shifts every week: 3:00–9:05 pm on Mondays; 1:00–9:05 on Wednesdays; one Saturday shift every fourth week from 8:45 am–5:05 pm; and one
Sunday shift every other week from 12:45–5:05 pm. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, there are no Sunday shifts.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to:
Sean Birmingham, Public Services Manager
Villa Park Public Library
305 S. Ardmore Avenue
Villa Park, IL 60181
Phone: No phone calls, please.
Fax: (630) 834-0489
Hours/week: 16.5 hours per week
Salary: $11.02/ hour, depending on qualifications
Schedule: We are looking for a candidate who has availability to help cover morning, afternoon, and evening shifts throughout the year. The schedule will require the candidate to work one evening per week (minimum) after May 2, 2020.
Current schedule through (May 2, 2020):
Mondays: 8:45 am – 1:00 pm
Wednesdays: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Thursdays: 8:45 am – 1:00 pm
Saturdays (on a rotational basis): 8:45 – 5:05 pm
Sundays (on a rotational basis) 12:45 – 5:05 pm
Job duties include:
- Assists patrons at the service desks. Duties include, but are not limited to, circulating library materials, issuance of library cards, answering telephones, and collecting fines and fees.
- Provides direct assistance to patrons with information regarding library materials, computer catalogs, electronic resources, the Internet, equipment, and services.
- Receives and physically processes requests from patrons for library materials available from this library’s automation system and OCLC.
- Distributes incoming mail.
- Processes and performs item entry of magazines and newspapers.
- Assists Department Head with outreach activities and represents the library at community events.
- Processes donated materials for inclusion in the collection, outreach giveaways, or book fundraisers.
- May create and maintain book displays.
- May serve as Passport Acceptance Agent.
- May shelve library materials in correct locations and maintain shelving areas so patrons and staff can locate materials.
- Cooperates as a team member with the library staff in performing any duties essential to the achievement of effective library operations.
- High school diploma required.
- Competency in MS Office products required.
- Ability to express self well in English, both orally and in writing, required.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution preferred.
- One to two years of customer service experience preferred.
- Fluent Spanish language skills preferred
Please ask for an application at the Service Desk, or download an application from the link at the top of this page. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.