What exactly is Storytime?
Each Storytime is a carefully planned “class” designed for your child’s delight. You and your very young child will enjoy music, movement, preschool games and age appropriate stories together. As your child becomes older, s/he will have their first opportunity to experience being in a small group setting with other children while you wait just outside the room.
Some storytime programs include a simple arts and craft project for you to enjoy exploring together.
By bringing your child regularly to storytime, you help her/him build important early skills
- a love of words, stories, and musical play,
- listening skills that lead to reading,
- physical coordination through play,
- very early social skills, and
- the ability to participate in a group.
Take advantage of the Villa Park Public Library’s free programs for young children! For specific dates and times, please refer to our calendar.
Marvelous Mornings This program is for all members of the family. It is offered the first and third Saturday of each month, 10:00 am 10:45 am. Simple stories and songs are followed by exploring a craft project to take home.
Babies and Books This first introduction to library “class” is for 6-16 month old babies. You can choose Mondays or Thursdays, 9:00 am-9:30 am. Please register in advance.
Toddler Time We do a lot of movement in this program, since that is what children age 17 – 35 months are all about! Along with short stories, we’ll enjoy simple songs, moving to music, and preschool games, followed by an optional 15 minutes of playtime with toys in the library’s play tubs. Choose Mondays or Thursdays, 9:45 am-10:15 am. Please register in advance.
Family Storytime This program features a dynamic selection of stories and music-based movement for families with children of all ages. Children under 3 years old must be accompanied by and adult. Please register in advance. Tuesdays, 9:30 – 10:00 am.
Story Circle for Preschoolers For children who are 3-5 years old, this program of stories, musical activities, preschool games is designed for children to enjoy on their own. Wednesdays at 9:30 am-10:10 am.
Ready for Reading A storytime program for children age 4 and older. Children will enjoy longer stories, fun with music, and a variety of simple early learning games. Thursdays from 1:15 pm-2:00 pm. Please register in advance for this program for children only.
Thursday Family Night @ the Library A super-fun night out for all families with young children, especially those who work during the day. We move through a variety of activities, including playdoh play, stories, music games, and arts & crafting. Thursdays once a month, 6:00 pm-7:15 pm. Please register in advance. To assist Spanish-speaking families, un interprete estra presente.
Please note: If a program requires pre-registration and fails to meet a minimum, it may be cancelled 24 hours in advance. You may register when you are visiting the library, or by calling (630) 834-1176. We thank you for letting us know if you are coming, so we can be prepared for you!
Storytime Tips for Parents & Caregivers
- Arrive early so that children have a chance to settle in.
- Children love to be called by name. Please help them keep their name tags on.
- Participate with your children and join in the songs and activities.
- Everyone has good days and bad. If your little ones are crying or fussy, please take them out of story time. You can always rejoin us when they’re ready!
- Be a model for your child – please save conversations until after the presentation.
- Turn off cell phones, or set them to silent. If you must take a call, please step outside the room before answering.
- Put books and toys away to minimize distractions for your child.
- Supervise your child. Running and climbing on or under the furniture can be dangerous!
- Storytime is food free. Any exceptions will be noted.
- Have fun!
|Find Books, Music and Movies||Homework Help||Cool Resources||Book Lists|