The Affordable Care Act was passed by Congress and then signed into law by the President on March 23, 2010. On June 28, 2012, the Supreme Court rendered a final decision to uphold the health care law.
Official Health Insurance Marketplace Websites
Healthcare.gov – The official website for the Health Insurance Marketplace; sign up here starting October 1st, 2013 and get more information. You can also call for help with the Marketplace – 1-800-318-2596; TTY: 1-855-889-4325
Healthcare.gov Help for Individuals and Families – Help with the Health Insurance Marketplace for individuals and families
Healthcare.gov Local Help – Search by city, state, or zip code to find local organizations that help with the Health Insurance Marketplace
These applications can be printed out and submitted by U.S. mail:
Individual Short Form (Instructions)
Family Form (Instructions)
Individual Without Financial Assistance (Instructions)
Other Useful ACA Websites
DuPage County Health Department – The official DuPage County Health Department webpage for the Affordable Care Act
DuPagePads - DuPagePads Awarded Grant to Assist in Affordable Care Act Outreach and Enrollment
State of Illinois - Official information on the Affordable Care Act and Illinois Health Insurance Marketplace from the State of Illinois
Get Covered Illinois – Gets consumers to the right place to access plans from the eight insurers offering coverage in Illinois or to determine if they are eligible for low-cost Medicaid program.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services - Information on the Affordable Care Act from the U.S. government Department of Health and Human Services
Small Business Resources – Information on the law from the U.S. Small Business Administration
AARP Healthlawfacts.org – Information on the Affordable Care Act from the AARP
Kaiser Family Foundation – Information from the Kaiser Family Foundation, a non-profit health information organization
Other Health-Related Web Sites
- Discovery Fit and Health - Lots of information on a wide variety of health and wellness topics.
- Fitness: The Global Fitness Community - A gloabl fitness community.
- Health and Wellness Resource Center - Health & Wellness Resource Center delivers up-to-date reference material as well as full-text magazines, journals, and pamphlets from a wide variety of authoritative medical sources.
- Health Central - Provides a collection of Websites offering trusted medical information from doctors, researchers and expert patients, as well as news, information, video and other multi-media content on health related subjects
- Mayo Clinic - Find information on hundreds of conditions. Check your symptoms. Improve your lifestyle. See how Mayo diagnoses and treats your condition. Find a doctor
- MedLine - MEDLINEÂ® contains journal citations and abstracts for biomedical literature from around the world. PubMedÂ® provides free access to MEDLINE and links to full text articles when possible.
- Men's Fitness - Health and fitness tips geared specifically toward men.
- Merck Manual - Online version of the print resource.
- My Pyramid - The Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, an organization of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, was established in 1994 to improve the nutrition and well-being of Americans. Toward this goal, the Center focuses its efforts on two primary objectives:
1.Advance and promote dietary guidance for all Americans, and
2.Conduct applied research and analyses in nutrition and consumer economics.
- National Institutes of Health - The National Institutes of Health is made up of 27 different components called Institutes and Centers. Each has its own specific research agenda. All but three of these components receive their funding directly from Congress, and administrate their own budgets
- Nutrition.gov - Provides easy, online access to government information on food and human nutrition
- Shape Up America! - The purpose of Shape Up America! is to educate the public on the importance of the achievement and maintenance of a healthy body weight through the adoption of increased physical activity and healthy eating.
- WebMD - Provides a wealth of health information and tools for managing your health from an award-winning Website. This site is continuously reviewed for accuracy and timeliness.
- Women Fitness - A complete online guide to achieve healthy weight loss and optimum fitness.
- Yahoo! Health - Keep up with the latest trends in helath, wellness, and fitness.