Subject Guide for Consumer Information
Each research guide provides internet links and resources selected by our reference staff:
- Annual Credit Report Request - Consumers can use this site to get free credit reports once every 12 months.
- Better Business Bureau - Covers consumer alerts, tips and buying guides.
- Consumer Reports - Ratings on wide variety of products ranging from cars and appliances to home & garden and food.
- ConsumerSearch.com - Freely available rankings of products based upon expert product review sources.
- foodnews.org - The non-profit Environmental Working Group produces this guide to pesticide content in commonly available foods.
- General Reference Center (from InfoTrac) - Log in with your library card number and pin
The General Reference Center includes full text articles from a variety of publications, including Consumer Reports.
- Household Products Database - This website provides a database listing the chemical components of major brand household products. It is a joint effort of the National Institutes of Health and the National Library of Medicine.
- Recalls.gov - Six federal agencies have banded together to provide this site, which lists current information on current and recent recalls from across the United States. Materials also available in Spanish.
- Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Database - The non-profit Environmental Working Group produces this guide, which lists the contents of a wide range of personal care products. Includes ratings of sunscreens.
- University of Illinois Cooperative Extension Service - U of I Extension’s programs are aimed at making life better, healthier, safer and more profitable for individuals and their communities.
- Yahoo! Consumer Advocacy and Information - Index of Internet sites covering wide variety of consumer topics.