Subject Guide for Parent and Teacher Resources
Each research guide provides internet links and resources selected by our reference staff:
- Educator's Reference Desk - From the Information Institute of Syracuse, this website contains lesson plans as well as categorized links to educational resources.
- Greene and Greene for Kids - Intended to be used along with the book of the same title, these activities offer another way to learn about the work of architects Greene & Greene, the Arts and Crafts movement, and architecture.
- Hennepin County "Birth to Six" - Includes Booklists, information on Early Literacy, and information en español.
- Henry The Hand - This informational site was created by a family physician to educate kids about the importance of hand hygiene and its role in preventing the spread of infectious diseases. Includes audio and visual aids.
- iVillage: Pregnancy and Parenting - Provides answers to parenting questions and concerns. Includes information on pregnancy, newborns, toddlers, teens, and "Being a Mom".
- Kids-In-Mind: Movie Ratings - Provides for parents and other adults an alternate source for more detailed rating of movies than is provided by the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA).
- Kidsource Online - Education and healthcare information for parents. Resources for parents of newborns up to teens.
- Parent's Guide to Internet Safety - This site, run by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, is intended to help parents understand the complexities of on-line child exploitation.
- Team Nutrition - Provides resources on childhood nutrition for parents and teachers.
- The Horn Book Guide Online - Log in with your library card number and pin
For every teacher, librarian, or parent who has struggled to identify just the right book to place in a particular student's hands.
- The Learning Page - This Library of Congress website gives a "teacher's eye view" of over 7 million historical documents, photographs, maps, films, and audio recordings.
- U.S. Fire Administration Kids: Resources for Parents & Teachers - The Parent-Teacher Resource pages will help you guide children through the Kids Page. Includes discussion points for talking about fire safety and prevention with your kids, lesson plans, fire safety recalls related to children's products, and more.
- Yahoo! Parenting - Directory of web sites on parenting issues.