Subject Guide for Genealogy
Each research guide provides internet links and resources selected by our reference staff:
- America's Obituaries - Log in with your library card number and pin
America's Obituaries & Death Notices consolidates records from hundreds of newspapers nationwide into a single, fully searchable database. This comprehensive resource features more than 34 million listings-approximately 90% of all recent obituaries and death notices published in the United States.
- Ancestry.com - The popular genealogy website offers some free database searches and others with paid subscription.
The Ancestry Library Edition includes all databases and is available for use inside the Library on our Digital Reference Page.
- Argus Obituary Index - Villa Park Public Library maintains an online record of obituaries from the Villa Park Argus.
- Cyndi's List - Directory of genealogy sites on the Web.
- DuPage County Genealogy Society - The website of the Wheaton-based group includes public record information and links for DuPage County information sources.
- Ellis Island - Free Port of New York passenger records search.
- Family Search - A host of genealogical resources provided by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
- HeritageQuest Online - Log in with your library card number and pin
Combines digital,searchable images of U.S. federal census records with the digitized version of the popular UMI® Genealogy and Local History collection.
- Illinois State Archives - The archives contain public records of Illinois state and local governments. Guidelines for conducting genealogical research using the archives in-person and online are included.
- Illinois Trails - A repository of freely available public record information from Illinois. DuPage County specific information is available.
- National Archives Genealogy Page - The website of the National Archives provides some records online but many more have not yet been digitized. Guidelines for offline research of Archives records are included.
- Obituaries and Death Notices - Search millions of obituaries from more than
800 newspapers worldwide.
- RootsWeb.com - Billing itself as "The Oldest & Largest FREE Genealogy Site," RootsWeb includes search engines and databases, family trees (over 70 million names), surname and geographical mailing lists, and message boards.
- Yahoo! Genealogy - Find and research your family tree with beginners guides, heraldry sites, lineage and surname information, regional and ethnic resources.